Old Man Saltbush
Old Man Saltbush is naturally growing throughout all parts of Australia’s mainland. It is packed with protein, minerals and antioxidants, with 20% less sodium than our table salt. The multi-branched plant was historically used by Southern Australia’s Aboriginal tribes and is considered a pivotal bush food. Playing a significant part role in nation’s agriculture industry and boasting protein and minerals, maybe Saltbush will become more of a kitchen staple, than a 'backyard' staple. It is also known as Giant Saltbush and Bluegreen Saltbush, it is the leaves that have a soft, earthy saltiness, which is what makes this the ideal seasoning sprinkle. ‘Please can you pass the Old Man Saltbush & Mountain Pepper Leaf?' There’s also an emerging trend of using it to flavour spirits or beer, and drying it out as a healthier and natural ‘potato chip’ alternative. Now we should also tell you what else makes this plant so epic...it has been identified by the United Nations Carbon Emission Trading Scheme to assist with the reduction of greenhouse warming. By now you probably can see that this ancient bush helps the planet by existing and by being used and grown!
Ancient Purity Presents Old Man Saltbush
An Australian Super-Herb
Used for Generations by the Indigenous Australians
Naturally occurring across all parts of mainland Australia - Old Man Saltbush
Revered Bush Super-Food
Saltbush Assists the Reduction of Greenhouse Warming
A Perfect Salt Alternative
Experience Salty Health Hit of Old Man Saltbush - Order Today
- 100% Old Man Saltbush.
- Produced to ecological standards, free from agro-chemicals. Non-irradiated and GMO-free.
100% natural, No preservatives, artificial colours, sweeteners or flavours
Gluten free, dairy free and no added sugar, Source of fibre, Vegan.
Ancient Purity Old Man Saltbush is an outstanding source of protein and contains beneficial calcium and trace minerals. It also contains 20% less sodium than table salt and is a rich source of antioxidants. Did you know that indigenous Australians consumed the shrub's leaves and ground the roots and leaves into water? They would then bathe any skin abrasions in the water to aid heal them. Oldman Saltbush was also used by Indigenous Australians as windbreaks, firebreaks and shade, and used it to optimise soil conditions for agriculture.
- Ancient Purity Old Man Saltbush can be used for seasoning. It is a healthier substitute for table salt.
- Excellent used as a coating, or in savoury pancakes, muffins and baked goods, spice and seasoning blends.
- Brand: Ancient Purity.
- Origin: Australia.
- Size: 75g (2.64 oz.).
- Container: Kraft brown Paper Pouch.
- Storage: Store in a cool dry place.
Old Man Saltbush may look like common shrubbery, but this ancient plant is actually one of the most versatile and delicious native herbs in Australia. It has a salty, herby flavour making it a great partner for all types of savoury dishes.
Old Man Saltbush & Mango Chicken Curry
Mango and Ancient Purity Old Man Saltbush are two incredible tastes. This quick and easy recipe might fast become a family favourite. Ancient Purity Old Man Saltbush is an excellent source of protein and contains beneficial calcium and trace minerals. It also contains 20% less sodium than table salt and is a rich source of antioxidants.
• 1 roast chicken chopped into chunks.
• ¼ cup green peppers, finely sliced.
• 1 stick of celery, chopped.
• 1200g sour cream (Use low fat.)
• 2 dessertspoons of red curry.
• 2 tablespoons of Longan Fruit Honey.
• 1 mango, chopped into slivers.
• Iceberg lettuce.
• 2 cups cooked spirelli pasta.
• Finely chopped chives.
• ½ teaspoon of Ancient Purity Old Man Saltbush.
• Place the roasted chicken chunks, green pepper slices, celery, spring onion into a large bowl. (To enjoy this recipe to the fullest, we recommend the 'Cotula' Energy Bowl.)
• Add pasta and mix together.
• Into a bowl mix cream, curry & Longan Honey.
• Add to chicken mixture.
• Place a bed of iceberg lettuce on a plate
• Put chicken curry on top.
• Place mango pieces onto curry and top with finely chopped chives.
Roast Lamb Old Man Saltbush Rub
• 1kg boneless lamb leg.
• 1 teaspoon Ancient Purity Old Man Saltbush.
• 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano.
• 4 garlic cloves.
• grated rind of 1 lemon.
• 1 small bayleaf.
• 1 dried long chilli.
• 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Biodynamic Olive Oil, plus a little extra for roasting.
• 1 teaspoon Ancient Purity Celtic Sea Salt.
• Place Ancient Purity Old Man Saltbush, oregano, garlic cloves, grated lemon rind, bay leaf, chill, 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and Celtic Sea Salt in a mortar and use the pestle to pound the ingredients, creating a well-combined, but rough paste. (If you don’t have a mortar and pestle, a food processor is a good alternative.)
• Place lamb in a medium-sized tray or bowl and rub the spice marinade all over the cover with plastic wrap and leave to marinate for at least 1 hour or preferably overnight.
• Remove marinated lamb from the refrigerator an hour before.
• Preheat oven to 180°C and place lamb on a lined baking tray.
• Drizzle with a little extra olive oil and roast in the oven for 50 minutes to an hour.
• Remove lamb from oven and place on a wire rack over roasting.
• Cover loosely with foil and rest for 20 minutes.
• Slice lamb across the grain, sprinkle with a little extra Ancient Purity Old Man Saltbush and serve with a citrusy yoghurt sauce, roast potatoes and your favourite leafy green.
Q: Where does Old Man Saltbush grow?
A: Old Man Saltbush naturally occurs in most Australian states. The edible leaves are salty in favour and rich in protein, antioxidants and minerals. It grows on saline, low-lying clay soils such as foodplains, but is highly drought resistant and is planted for grazing fodder and to help control salt in soils.
Q: Are there different types of Oldman Saltbush?
A: No. There is only one strain of Oldman Saltbush.
The products and the claims made about specific products, articles and claims made in the articles and information written on or through this site have not been evaluated by Ancient Purity, the MHRA, the FSA or the United States FDA and are not approved to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease. The information provided on this site is for informational purposes only and is not intended as a substitute for advice from your physician or other health care professional or any information contained on or in any product label or packaging. You should not use the information on this site for diagnosis or treatment of any health problem or for prescription of any medication or other treatment. You should consult with a healthcare professional before starting any diet, exercise or supplementation program, before taking any medication, or if you have or suspect you might have a health problem. Providing a product for sale does not imply Ancient Purity recommendation of that product, its suitability or its efficacy. Ancient Purity cannot give medical opinions. No comment or entry in this site or in any communication from Ancient Purity may be taken as such.
Prices and promotions are subject to change without notice. Customers should always carefully check all the details printed on the package before opening the product. Whilst all efforts are made to ensure accuracy of description, specifications and pricing there may be occasions where errors arise. Should such a situation occur the company cannot accept your order. In the event of a mistake you will be contacted with a full explanation and a corrected offer. The information displayed is considered as an invitation to treat not as a confirmed offer for sale. The contract is confirmed upon supply of goods, Prices and promotions are subject to change without notice.
Please read the Terms and Conditions of using this site, by using the site you are accepting the terms and conditions.
All Material on this site © 2023 Ancient Purity Ltd Registered in England & Wales 07801142 VAT Reg 168 335 488