Old Man Saltbush
Old Man Saltbush is naturally growing throughout all parts of Australia’s mainland. It is packed with protein, minerals and antioxidants, with 20% less sodium than our table salt. The multi-branched plant was historically used by Southern Australia’s Aboriginal tribes and is considered a pivotal bush food. Playing a significant part role in nation’s agriculture industry and boasting protein and minerals, maybe Saltbush will become more of a kitchen staple, than a 'backyard' staple. It is also known as Giant Saltbush and Bluegreen Saltbush, it is the leaves that have a soft, earthy saltiness, which is what makes this the ideal seasoning sprinkle. ‘Please can you pass the Old Man Saltbush & Mountain Pepper Leaf?' There’s also an emerging trend of using it to flavour spirits or beer, and drying it out as a healthier and natural ‘potato chip’ alternative. Now we should also tell you what else makes this plant so epic...it has been identified by the United Nations Carbon Emission Trading Scheme to assist with the reduction of greenhouse warming. By now you probably can see that this ancient bush helps the planet by existing and by being used and grown!
Ancient Purity Presents Old Man Saltbush
An Australian Super-Herb
Used for Generations by the Indigenous Australians
Naturally occurring across all parts of mainland Australia - Old Man Saltbush
Revered Bush Super-Food
Saltbush Assists the Reduction of Greenhouse Warming
A Perfect Salt Alternative
Experience Salty Health Hit of Old Man Saltbush - Order Today
- 100% Old Man Saltbush.
- Produced to ecological standards, free from agro-chemicals. Non-irradiated and GMO-free.
100% natural, No preservatives, artificial colours, sweeteners or flavours
Gluten free, dairy free and no added sugar, Source of fibre, Vegan.
- Ancient Purity Old Man Saltbush can be used for seasoning. It is a healthier substitute for table salt.
- Excellent used as a coating, or in savoury pancakes, muffins and baked goods, spice and seasoning blends.
NOTE: Ancient Purity Old Man Saltbush is an outstanding source of protein and contains beneficial calcium and trace minerals. It also contains 20% less sodium than table salt and is a rich source of antioxidants. Did you know that indigenous Australians consumed the shrub's leaves and ground the roots and leaves into water? They would then bathe any skin abrasions in the water to aid heal them. Oldman Saltbush was also used by Indigenous Australians as windbreaks, firebreaks and shade, and used it to optimise soil conditions for agriculture.
- Brand: Ancient Purity.
- Origin: Australia.
- Size: 75g (2.64 oz.).
- Container: Kraft brown Paper Pouch.
- Storage: Store in a cool dry place.
Old Man Saltbush Lowdown
Old Man Saltbush may look like common shrubbery, but this ancient plant is actually one of the most versatile and delicious native herbs in Australia. It has a salty, herby flavour making it a great partner for all types of savoury dishes.
Garlic Oil, Saltbush & Purple Beans (Old Man Saltbush)
- Ancient Purity Dried Old Man Saltbush Leaves.
- Ancient Purity Hemp Oil.
- Purple Beans (or regular Green Beans).
- Add 1 cup of Ancient Purity Hemp Oil into a medium sized saucepan.
- When hot, deep fry a handful of Saltbush Leaves for about 15 seconds.
- Remove when crispy and lay on paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- Chop garlic cloves finely and place in a microwave safe bowl.
- Add 3 tablespoons of Ancient Purity Hemp Oil.
- Place in the microwave 30 seconds at a time until the garlic has turned golden brown and slightly crispy.
- Bring a small saucepan of water to the boil.
- Add a small amount of Ancient Purity Celtic Sea Salt.
- Remove the ends of the purple beans and blanch in salted water for 2 minutes.
- Remove and place in cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Pat dry and set aside to cool.
- Place the beans on a serving plate and season with Celtic Sea Salt and pepper to taste.
- Drizzle with garlic oil.
- Place crispy saltbush leaves on the top.
- Season with a little more salt and pepper to taste
Q: Where does Old Man Saltbush grow?
A: Old Man Saltbush naturally occurs in most Australian states. The edible leaves are salty in favour and rich in protein, antioxidants and minerals. It grows on saline, low-lying clay soils such as foodplains, but is highly drought resistant and is planted for grazing fodder and to help control salt in soils.
Q: Are there different types of Oldman Saltbush?
A: No. There is only one strain of Oldman Saltbush.
The products and the claims made about specific products, articles and claims made in the articles and information written on or through this site have not been evaluated by Ancient Purity, the MHRA, the FSA or the United States FDA and are not approved to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease. The information provided on this site is for informational purposes only and is not intended as a substitute for advice from your physician or other health care professional or any information contained on or in any product label or packaging. You should not use the information on this site for diagnosis or treatment of any health problem or for prescription of any medication or other treatment. You should consult with a healthcare professional before starting any diet, exercise or supplementation program, before taking any medication, or if you have or suspect you might have a health problem. Providing a product for sale does not imply Ancient Purity recommendation of that product, its suitability or its efficacy. Ancient Purity cannot give medical opinions. No comment or entry in this site or in any communication from Ancient Purity may be taken as such.
Prices and promotions are subject to change without notice. Customers should always carefully check all the details printed on the package before opening the product. Whilst all efforts are made to ensure accuracy of description, specifications and pricing there may be occasions where errors arise. Should such a situation occur the company cannot accept your order. In the event of a mistake you will be contacted with a full explanation and a corrected offer. The information displayed is considered as an invitation to treat not as a confirmed offer for sale. The contract is confirmed upon supply of goods, Prices and promotions are subject to change without notice.
Please read the Terms and Conditions of using this site, by using the site you are accepting the terms and conditions.
All Material on this site © 2023 Ancient Purity Ltd Registered in England & Wales 07801142 VAT Reg 168 335 488