5-HTP is an amino acid, safe precursor to serotonin. It's food based, containing 5-HTP in a bio-effective form, comprising the natural shrub Griffonia Simplicifolia and nutrients needed for the effective conversion of 5-HTP to serotonin including Magnesium and Vitamin B6. 5-HTP acts similar to medicines often prescribed for generalised forms of low mood and excess worrying, be it past or future. 5-HTP is the balancing natural solution, take it at night and awaken rested.
Ancient Purity presents 5-HTP, in an easy 1 - 2 capsule dosage, which bioavailable "Food State". This natural supplement has been used to help with many conditions, including low mood, overweight, carbohydrate craving, eating disorders, sleeping problems, sleepiness, various headaches, and body pain. The body makes 5-HTP from tryptophan (an essential amino acid) and converts it to an important brain chemical known as serotonin. Tryptophan and 5-HTP dietary supplements help raise serotonin levels in the brain, which might have a positive effect on sleep, mood, worrying, aggression, appetite, temperature, sexual behaviour, and bodily discomfort sensations.
Low levels of serotonin in the brain can contribute to the development of long-term low mood. Many drugs prescribed for emotional well-being increase serotonin levels. Some studies indicate that 5-HTP may be as effective as certain antidepressant drugs in treating individuals with mild to moderate mental health issues. There are many causes for worry including lifestyle and your overall health. Some nutrients such as essential fatty acids, vitamins, and minerals, play a major role in mental wellness. Psychologically distressed adults eat differently than emotionally healthy adults which can increase worry. Naturally occurring compounds in the body, taken in supplement form, may also improve mood and reduce worry. Healthy diet, exercise and then adding supplements may help maintain enhanced emotional wellness.
5 - HTP (Food Based)
- Individuals have shown improvements in mood, stress-related issues, sleeplessness, and physical symptoms.
- Has been shown to improve sleep quality and reduce pain, stiffness, nervous disorders, and low mood in individuals with musculoskeletal pain accompanied by fatigue, sleep, memory and mood issues.
- Medical research indicates that supplementation with tryptophan before bedtime can induce sleepiness and delay wake times. Studies also suggest that 5-HTP may be useful in combatting sleeping disorders associated with depressed feelings.
- Some studies suggest that 5-HTP may be effective in children and adults with moderate to severe headaches.
- There is some evidence that low tryptophan levels may contribute to excess fat and carbohydrate intake.
- Because low serotonin levels are associated with addictive behaviours such as gambling or theft it has been shown that 5-HTP can be a beneficial supplement for those needing help with addiction.
- Works quickly, some people experience fast results, its also simple and easy to use, just take one or two at night.
Serotonin and Melatonin
Because low serotonin levels are associated with addictive behaviours it has been shown that 5-HTP can be a beneficial supplement for those needing help with addiction. 5-HTP or 5-hydroxy tryptophan is a metabolic intermediary in the body to both serotonin and melatonin, substances which are critical building-blocks for mental and emotional health. There is a massive amount of evidence that suggests that low serotonin levels are a common consequence of modern living. These lifestyle and dietary practises of many people living in this stress filled era results in lowered levels of serotonin within the brain. Increasing serotonin through 5-HTP supplementation could result in total change in health for the individual.
Supplementation with 5-HTP has many advantages over other mental wellness supplements without many of their disadvantages and side effects, and has emerged as leading natural remedy for mental health issues, stress and sleeping disorders. Many people associate mood improvement and emotional health with the consumption of 5-HTP as a supplement. Its consumption has also been linked to reduction of the intensity and severity of panic attacks. It also could be considered a good option for those suffering with compulsive disorders. It might also effective in lessening of the symptoms associated with a condition that affects a woman's emotions, physical health, and behaviour during certain days of the menstrual cycle. These symptoms affect more than 90 per cent of menstruating women.
Rest, Sleep, Recover with 5 - HTP
5-HTP with the Keto Diet for Weight-loss (Reduce Cravings)
5-HTP might stop the craving for unhealthy fats and carbohydrates... 5-HTP has been shown in clinical studies to help weight-loss, in the Keto lifestyle choice it helps reduce carbohydrate cravings. Those following the Keto or zero carb diet could experience a reduction in serotonin levels due to the fact that carbohydrates stimulate serotonin production in the body.
Serotonin release is triggered by a carbohydrate load (sugar etc.) and it is thought that's why we often crave Carbohydrates under stress as we want to stimulate this serotonin release. When the brain produces serotonin, tension is eased. When the brain produces dopamine or norepinephrine (noradrenaline), we tend to think and act more quickly and are generally more alert. Eating carbohydrates seems to have a calming effect, while proteins increase alertness.
Enjoy the Positive Effects pf 5-HTP
Body Comfort / Energy / Sleep / Memory / Mood
A growing amount of research has uncovered evidence that 5-HTP, taken in doses of at least 100 milligrams a day, three times daily, can help decrease a number of muscle-pain related difficulties, such as ache, tenderness, nervous disorders, fatigue and stiffness. In one study, a “fair” clinical improvement was seen in nearly 50% of the patients during the treatment period. For the most benefits, it’s thought that supplementation should last for at least several weeks to several months. It may also help mitigate various headache symptoms in some, another condition that is thought to possibly be triggered by serotonin levels. One study found that supplementing led to a significant improvement in 71% of participants who were treated with 5-HTP.
Furthermore researchers discovered that giving test subjects excess amounts of fenclonine (also known as p-chlorophenylalanine) made the headaches they were experiencing even worse. The findings went a long way towards increasing their knowledge of body pain. In the process, doctors learned 5 HTP was the most effective method for treating it. Based on 5 HTP fibromyalgia reviews, it’s become obvious that sufferers of pain all over the body and severe headaches both had low serotonin levels. Researchers also learned that those with serious headaches were very sensitive and prone to health problems when serotonin levels dropped. The conclusion is that a low serotonin level is one of the reasons for body pain and that 5-HTP can be used to remedy the situation. 5-HTP may adversely affect certain people in some cases. For instance, some of the users of 5-HTP products have developed a rare disorder that causes inflammation in different parts of the body including muscles, skin, and lungs. However, it’s important to note here that there is no scientific evidence to prove that 5-HTP, itself, has been the cause of the diagnosis of this disorder. It may even be caused due to a contamination or an accidental ingredient in 5-HTP products.
5-HTP... Working On Through The Night
5-HTP... Closing Thoughts
The chemical 5-hydroxytryptophan, also known as 5-HTP can be converted to serotonin in the body. It is often used for emotional wellness issues. There is less evidence for sleeping disorders and nervous disorders. However, some people experienced positive results. 5-HTP is a chemical by-product of the protein building block L-tryptophan. It is manufactured commercially from an African plant’s seeds known as Griffonia simplicifolia. This chemical works in the brain and central nervous system by increasing the production of serotonin. Serotonin is a chemical that can affect sleep, appetite, temperature, sexual behaviour, and pain sensations.
Since 5-HTP increases serotonin levels, it is used for conditions in which serotonin is believed to play a pivotal role. These include: low mood, nervous disorders, and numerous other conditions. 5-HTP is most likely effective at increasing fullness feelings, which might help you eating less and lose weight. It supplements increase serotonin levels in your body, which might improve low mood symptoms, particularly when used in combination with other antidepressant medications. Nonetheless, there’s still more research needed. 5-HTP may promote sleep by increasing melatonin production, an essential sleep-regulating hormone. Some people might experience side effects when taking 5-HTP supplements. Consult your doctor or health practitioner before taking a 5-HTP supplement making sure it is safe for you.
Experience Peace of Mind with 5-HTP - Order Today
- L-5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) 50mg.
- Vitamin B6 as Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate 5mg.
- Magnesium 50mg.
- Griffonia Simplicifolia Extract - providing 5-HTP.
- Magnesium Citrate.
Other Ingredients: Capsule shell (vegetable cellulose).
- Take 1 to 2 capsules daily as a food supplement, preferably before bedtime with a small healthy snack, or as recommend by your healthcare practitioner.
NOTE: Individuals who take 5-HTP may expect it to act quickly, altering their mood overnight. Medications, supplements and herbs that act upon neurotransmitters usually need to be taken for several weeks before patients start to feel the effects. Some people take more and more 5 HTP, hoping that taking more will increase the effectiveness more quickly. This can create a dangerous condition called, serotonin syndrome. Many alternate health practitioners recommend starting slowly with 5 HTP and taking it for only short periods of time. Please first check with your medical practitioner before taking 5-HTP if you are on any medication.
Contraindications: While this supplement appears to be safe for most people, 5-HTP danger occurs when people mix 5-HTP with prescription medications and herbal supplements. Taking too much 5-HTP is also dangerous. 5-HTP should not be taken concurrently with antidepressants except under the supervision of a physician because 5-HTP increases the activity of these drugs. Mixing SSRI medications and 5-HTP may result in a rare but extremely serious condition of too much serotonin in the body. People with too high serotonin levels exhibit a variety of symptoms including confusion, restlessness, hallucinations, fever, nausea, and vomiting. Coma and death follow swiftly after symptoms appear. It is also contraindicated in those with carcinoid tumours. Mixing 5 HTP with herbal supplements for depression such as St. John's Wort is also not recommended. Like SSRI medications, St. John's Wort alters the delicate balance of brain chemistry. 5 HTP can tip the balance into dangerous territory.
PREGNANT / NURSING WOMEN: 5-HTP should be avoided by pregnant, nursing women and those with significant cardiovascular issues.
- Brand: Ancient Purity.
- Size: 60 capsules.
- Container: Miron Dark Violet Glass Jar.
- Estimated shelf life from purchase: 2 years.
- Storage: Keep in a cool dry place, keep out of reach of children.
Q - Can I take the 5-HTP alongside your Multi-Vitamin Mineral Complex?
A - Yes, although bear in mind that the Multi-Vitamin Mineral Complex is an anytime supplement, whilst the 5-HTP is recommended to be taken in the later evening, before bedtime.
- 5-HTP Scientific Articles
- Supportive Scientific Research
1.) Angst J, Woggon B, Schoepf J. The treatment of depression with L-5-hydroxytryptophan versus imipramine. Results of two open and one double-blind study. Arch Psychiatr Nervenkr. 1977;224(2):175-186.
2.) Attele AS, Xie JT, Yuan CS. Treatment of insomnia: an alternative approach. Altern Med Rev. 2000;5(3):249-259.
3.) Birdsall TC. 5-Hydroxytryptophan: a clinically-effective serotonin precursor. Altern Med Rev. 1998;3(4):271-280.
4. Byerley WF, Judd LL, Reimherr FW, Grosser BI. 5-Hydroxytryptophan: a review of its antidepressant efficacy and adverse effects. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 1987;7(3):127-137.
5. Cangiano C, Laviano A, Del Ben M, et al. Effects of oral 5-hydroxy-tryptophan on energy intake and macronutrient selection in non-insulin dependent diabetic patients. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1998;22(7):648-654.
6. Cangiano C, Ceci F, Cascino A, et al. Eating behavior and adherence to dietary prescriptions in obese adult subjects treated with 5-hydroxytryptophan. J Clin Nutr. 1992;56(5):863-867.
7. Caruso I, Sarzi Puttini P, Cazzola M, Azzolini V. Double-blind study of 5-hydroxytryptophan versus placebo in the treatment of primary fibromyalgia syndrome. J Int Med Res. 1990;18(3):201-209.
8. Cauffield JS, Forbes HJ. Dietary supplements used in the treatment of depression, anxiety, and sleep disorders. Lippincotts Prim Care Pract. 1999;3(3):290-304.
9. Ceci F, Cangiano C, Cairella M, et al. The effects of oral 5-hydroxytryptophan administration on feeding behavior in obese adult female subjects. J Neural Transm. 1989;76(2):109-117.
10. Curcio JJ, Kim LS, Wollner D, Pockaj BA. The potential of 5-hydroxytryptophan for hot flash reduction: a hypothesis. Altern Med Rev. 2005;10(3):216-221.
11. DeBenedittis G, Massei R. Serotonin precursors in chronic primary headache. A double-blind cross-over study with L-5-hydroxytryptophan vs. placebo. J Neurosurg Sci. 1985;29(3):239-248.
12. Elko CJ, Burgess JL, Robertson WO. Zolpidem-associated hallucinations and serotonin reuptake inhibition: a possible interaction. J Toxicol Clin Toxicol. 1998;36(3):195-203.
13. Freedman RR. Treatment of menopausal hot flashes with 5-hydroxytryptophan. Maturitas. 2010;65(4):383-385.
14. Gardner DM, Lynd LD. Sumatriptan contraindications and the serotonin syndrome. Ann Pharmacother. 1998;32(1):33-38.
15. Gendle MH, Young EL, Romano AC. Effects of oral 5-hydroxytryptophan on a standardized planning task: insight into possible dopamine/serotonin interactions in the forebrain. Hum Psychopharmacol. 2013;28(3):270-273.
The products and the claims made about specific products, articles and claims made in the articles and information written on or through this site have not been evaluated by Ancient Purity, the MHRA, the FSA or the United States FDA and are not approved to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease. The information provided on this site is for informational purposes only and is not intended as a substitute for advice from your physician or other health care professional or any information contained on or in any product label or packaging. You should not use the information on this site for diagnosis or treatment of any health problem or for prescription of any medication or other treatment. You should consult with a healthcare professional before starting any diet, exercise or supplementation program, before taking any medication, or if you have or suspect you might have a health problem. Providing a product for sale does not imply Ancient Purity recommendation of that product, its suitability or its efficacy. Ancient Purity cannot give medical opinions. No comment or entry in this site or in any communication from Ancient Purity may be taken as such.
Prices and promotions are subject to change without notice. Customers should always carefully check all the details printed on the package before opening the product. Whilst all efforts are made to ensure accuracy of description, specifications and pricing there may be occasions where errors arise. Should such a situation occur the company cannot accept your order. In the event of a mistake you will be contacted with a full explanation and a corrected offer. The information displayed is considered as an invitation to treat not as a confirmed offer for sale. The contract is confirmed upon supply of goods, Prices and promotions are subject to change without notice.
Please read the Terms and Conditions of using this site, by using the site you are accepting the terms and conditions.
All Material on this site © 2014 Ancient Purity Ltd Registered in England & Wales 07801142 VAT Reg 168 335 488