Bear Root (Osha Root)
Ancient Purity Presents…Bear Root. Mostly it's known as Osha Root but we like Bear Root and Bear Medicine. This pivotal mystical perennial herb grows on the dry, upland meadows and in the Rocky Mountain ravines in the USA. Osha Root offers a distinctive deep healing power which is connected to the unique conditions of its high altitude environment. Bear Root has numerous uses and a long lineage of reverence among local healers and herbalists across its growing region. The Osha plant’s health-boosting part is the Root that has been used since ancient times for cough, cold, and respiratory issues. The healing oils present in the Root include: Terpenes, Camphor, Saponins, Phytosterols and Ferulic Acid. Arguably, Osha Root is the most effective herb for throat and lung concerns. Bear Medicine encourages a healthy immune response and supports our bodies’ natural resistance. Traditionally, this analgesic root was also used to aid alleviate joint pain and to promote a healthy inflammatory response. Perhaps the most unique feature of Osha Root is it produces the hormone Oxytocin, no surprise another name for it is Love Root. As we embrace and kiss a loved one, Oxytocin levels rise. Oxytocin also acts as a brain neurotransmitter. The hormone plays a huge role in pair bonding and is stimulated more so during sex, birth, breast feeding. With regards to spirituality, you can add Osha Root to a smudge blend to amplify the effect of clearing away undesired thoughts, feelings, or negativity. You can also keep a piece somewhere on you to ward off negative energy. Wild-crafted ethically and sustainably in New Mexico with traditional offering and prayer made before harvest. With Osha Root, a little goes a long way! This is a potent root and it’s all about quality not quantity.
Ancient Purity Presents Bear Root (Osha Root)
Craft yourself a Medicinal Tea with Osha Root
Osha Root Supports the Respiratory System / Healthy Airwaves
Experience the Ancient Wisdom of Osha / Bear Root
- Osha Root/Bear Root (Ligusticum Porteri) - 100% Natural.
- Produced to ecological standards, free from agro-chemicals. Non-irradiated and GMO-free.
- Tea: To make a power decoction, steep a handful of Bear/Osha Root in boiling water. Allow to simmer for at least an hour (The longer the better) strain and serve. Add some Organic Honey, Maple Syrup or even better Ancient Purity Bush Apple or Ancient Purity Kakadu Plum Syrup. Sip it the same way you would drink your favourite tea. It is also great to sip it with a little Organic Grass-Fed Ghee
- Consumed: The roots were chewed on to enhance endurance – this is also thought why Bear/Osha Root supports the respiratory system. Simply chew on a root, no need to swallow.
- Incense: Burning the Osha/Bear Root produces warming, subtly Cinnamon aromas, these were thought to purify the air. selective Indigenous communities burned Osha Root against bad omens and harmful spirits. You will need to keep lighting it.
- Carried/Palced: In North America, the natives used this herb as a talisman, bringing good luck and power. Native Americans would tie up Bear Roots in local leaves and placed them by their babies to cleanse the energy near them and the air they breath.
- Travel: Osha Root can also be taken when travelling to higher altitudes or for long-distance hiking to support easy breathing.
WARNING: It's unsafe to consume Osha Root when you're pregnant or breastfeeding. Ingesting Osha Root may trigger menstruation in pregnant women, which could cause miscarriage.
NOTE: Osha’s roots were often chewed to boost endurance – which has since been attributed its support of the respiratory system. Native American Indian parents even used to wrap Osha Roots with leaves and strings and placed them near newly born babies to cleanse the air they breathed. Osha Root’s antiviral properties are well recognised today, and as an alternative medicine, it is often prescribed at the first signals of the flu or common cold.
- Brand: Ancient Purity.
- Size: 50g (1.76 oz.).
- Container: Kraft Paper Pouch.
- Storage: Keep in a cool dry place, keep out of reach of children.
- Estimated shelf life from purchase: 1 - 2 years.
Bear Root Lowdown
Ancient Purity Osha Root is considered an immune system booster and aid for coughs, colds, pneumonia, bronchitis, and the flu. This ancient root also used to alleviate indigestion, lung issues, bodily discomfort, and sore throats. Today, Bear Root is most commonly utilised as a tincture, tea, or decongestant.
Honey Osha Lozenges
- ½ Cup Longan Fruit Honey (Available @AncientPurity).
- 1 Cup Filtered Water.
- ½ Teaspoon Celtic Sea Salt (Available @AncientPurity).
- 1 Tablespoon Osha Root (Powdered).
- ¼ Cup Arrowroot Powder.
- Candy Mold.
- Candy Thermometer.
- Attach your candy thermometer to a medium saucepan.
- Over medium high heat bring the Longan Honey and water to a rapid boil.
- Once a boil is reached, stir in the Celtic Sea Salt and Osha Root.
- Stir occasionally as your mixture heats to 300F.
- As soon as the temperature reaches 300F, remove from heat and pour the mixture into your candy molds.
- Allow to harden in molds for several hours or as long as overnight.
- Once cool, remove and roll in arrowroot powder to prevent your lozenges from sticking together.
- Store in fridge or freezer.
- 1 Cup Osha Root Decoction.
- 2 Tablespoon Powdered Kava Kava Root.
- 2 Tablespoons Ancient Purity Extra Virgin Coconut Oil.
- Blend all ingredients in a blender or with a hand-mixer.
- Strain if preferred (using a tea strainer, cheesecloth or French-press).
- Warm on the stovetop.
- Don’t boil.
Osha tastes great. Its flavour is like peppery celery, or lightly like anise – and all day brewing a decoction provides a lovely aroma to your house. Decoctions are simply very rich teas that can be evolved into “lattes” or broths, as desired! For example, to combine Osha’s “loveage” effects with the calming Kava kava root, which is best absorbed along with a bit of healthy fat such as Extra Virgin Living Coconut Oil (Available @AncientPurity).
Bear Root Honey (Osha Root)
It is said that upon waking from winter hibernation that bears in the high Rockies dig up Osha Root and eat the root as their first meal. Bears love honey, bears love Osha, Osha does well in honey, it’s a little bit of magic!
- My favourite method of consuming dried Osha Root is to chop up Root and cover it in raw unfiltered honey. This serves the purpose of mellowing out the intense flavour and makes it easier for consumption, which is great for the less hardy and for children.
- Synergistically the Honey and Osha Root combine together making a medicine that can be consumed by the spoonful, mixed into herbal tea, or the pea-sized Osha Root chunks in the honey can be chewed on. Just chew, do not swallow.
Q: Why they call this Bear Medicine?
A: Bears symbolise introspection and intuition blended with instinct. To both European and Native American Shamans, the bear symbolises awakening the strong force of the unconscious. The strength of bear medicine is the power to restore harmony and balance — to heal. People have long noted that bears in the region seek out the Osha plant when they first emerge from hibernation, both eating the species and chewing it into a mash which they rub into their fur, hence “Bear Medicine.” In turn, Osha depends on the bears and other local wildlife to spread its seeds.
Q: Can you tell me more about the spiritual uses of Osha Root?
A: The plant is associated with protection and good luck and Elders are often given the root as a gift. It has been used in rituals to promote fidelity and love and it is also a good cleansing herb which can be used prior to rituals or ceremonies.
Q: How can this Bear Medicine help with breathing issues?
A: Osha Root aids clear mucus from the lungs and sinuses by enhancing expectoration; this alleviated congestion and makes breathing less difficult. Osha Root also increases blood circulation to the lungs, which increases dilation during constriction.
Q: Is Osha/Bear Root antibacterial?
A: Scientific studies have revealed that Osha Root Extracts may be effective against E. coli, shigella, golden staph, and more. While these bacteria species can cause stomach issues and skin infection, this research also points to the possibility that Osha Root could be effective for fighting other types of bacteria as well.
Q: Can Osha Root help with immunity?
A: When our immune cells fight off an infection, they are exposed to large amounts of oxidative stress. Oxidative stress can cause long-term damage if it’s allowed to continue long term without the opportunity for repair. Osha Root can protect our immune cells from oxidation, preserving them for the next battle against infection. A lab study on Osha Root Extract at varied doses found that the highest dosage prevented 94% of damage to human immune cells in comparison to cells experiencing oxidative stress without Osha Root. Even better, Osha Root can increase levels of our bodies’ own natural antioxidants and help your body’s immune cells survive longer.
Q: Is the Osha Root’s healing power backed by science?
A: Laboratory research shows us how Osha Root may relieve pain, be an effective immune tonic, and help to fight infections. Lab studies show that a strong tea or decoction of Osha Root may have strong analgesic effects, meaning pain relief without sedation. This makes it a wonderful alternative to conventional over-the-counter medicines for sore throats or coughs that often have sedative effects. Osha Root may also be useful for pain caused by cramping or muscle spasms.
Q: Where does Osha Root come from?
A: Bear Medicine is native to the Rocky Mountains and parts of Mexico.
Q: How long does dried Osha Root last?
A: High quality dried Osha Root will last up to 4 years due to the high essential oil content. Get to know what your herbs look and smell like when freshly dried. When they start to lose their colour and scent, they’re getting too old and are best composted.
Q: Does Osha Root help with digestion?
A: Its dark brown, wrinkled roots have been used for colds, coughs, sore throats, the flu, bronchitis, and even pneumonia. Osha Root has been given traditionally to boost immunity and improve digestion and lung health, including in cases of asthma.
Q: I’ve heard that Osha Root also helps with stomach ulcers. Is that true?
A: Not only can Osha Root alleviate the aches caused by stomach ulcers, it may also protect the stomach lining and help prevent ulcer development. Traditional use of Osha Root in Mexico has offered it as a solution for gastrointestinal complaints for many years, and a recent lab research has found that Osha Root Extracts can prevent stomach ulcers from forming after damage caused by huge amounts of alcohol. While we do not recommend consuming large amounts of alcohol, the gastro-protective benefits of Osha Root are very promising.
Q: Why is Osha Root expensive?
A: Osha doesn’t like to be domesticated, and is all but impossible to grow under cultivation. Virtually all commercial Osha is wild harvested. Osha is dependent on mycorrhizal fungi, and attempts to artificially cultivate the plant outside of its habitat have not been successful. Cultivation in areas where Osha naturally grows have been more successful. A permit is generally needed to harvest Osha Root. It is important to purchase Osha from sustainably harvested sources to ensure that this wonderful root is not damaged due to over-harvesting.
Q: Is it true that Osha Root contains the hormone oxytocin?
A: Yes! When we hug or kiss a loved one, oxytocin levels drive up. Oxytocin acts as a neurotransmitter in the brain as well. This hormone plays a big role in pair bonding. It is greatly stimulated during sex, birth, breast feeding - the list goes on.
The products and the claims made about specific products, articles and claims made in the articles and information written on or through this site have not been evaluated by Ancient Purity, the MHRA, the FSA or the United States FDA and are not approved to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease. The information provided on this site is for informational purposes only and is not intended as a substitute for advice from your physician or other health care professional or any information contained on or in any product label or packaging. You should not use the information on this site for diagnosis or treatment of any health problem or for prescription of any medication or other treatment. You should consult with a healthcare professional before starting any diet, exercise or supplementation program, before taking any medication, or if you have or suspect you might have a health problem. Providing a product for sale does not imply Ancient Purity recommendation of that product, its suitability or its efficacy. Ancient Purity cannot give medical opinions. No comment or entry in this site or in any communication from Ancient Purity may be taken as such.
Prices and promotions are subject to change without notice. Customers should always carefully check all the details printed on the package before opening the product. Whilst all efforts are made to ensure accuracy of description, specifications and pricing there may be occasions where errors arise. Should such a situation occur the company cannot accept your order. In the event of a mistake you will be contacted with a full explanation and a corrected offer. The information displayed is considered as an invitation to treat not as a confirmed offer for sale. The contract is confirmed upon supply of goods, Prices and promotions are subject to change without notice.
Please read the Terms and Conditions of using this site, by using the site you are accepting the terms and conditions.
All Material on this site © 2023 Ancient Purity Ltd Registered in England & Wales 07801142 VAT Reg 168 335 488